The salivary glands exist in the human body in two different forms. Tissues called minor salivary glands; It is found in the mucous structure that remains from the mouth to the larynx and there are hundreds of them. Major salivary glands as well as minor salivary glands; It is located under the tongue, in front of the ear and under the chin.
What Do Salivary Glands Do?
The functions of salivary glands can be listed as follows;
- Disinfects the mouth area.
- Protects the mouth and nasal region against bacteria and viruses.
- Starts digestion.
- Protects the immune system.
- Prevents drying of the oral cavity.
- It regulates the temperature of the food.
- Makes it easier to swallow by softening the texture of food.
What are Salivary Gland Diseases?
Main Salivary Gland Diseases;
Problems Due to Infection
Saliva Gland Stones
In this problem, which is usually seen in the salivary glands under the chin, the formation of salivary gland stones is common due to both the thick consistency of the saliva secreted here and the secretion against gravity. The cause of salivary gland stones;
- Gout disease
- Reduction in salivary flow
- It is the pH imbalance of saliva secretion.
Tumors of the Salivary Gland
It is usually seen in the salivary glands in front of the ear. Although approximately 20% of these tumors are malignant, benign salivary gland tumors; pleomeorphic adenoma and Warthin tumor. The most common malignant tumors of the salivary gland are mucoepidermoid cancer.
In particular, surgical methods are used in the treatment of salivary gland tumors and stones.